Friday 28 August 2009

Am I too good

For our projects that are released through the Sanger Website as Open Source (most of our code is, but we don't have a specific release policy to putting it out there) we run David A. Wheelers sloccount to get a count of the lines of code.

I have just done release-3.0 of the pluggable pipeline system, so I thought it might be fun to get the stats of this.

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 3,884

That's good, I've been working on this for 7 weeks, with other projects.

However, sloccount gives you further info:

Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 0.83 (9.98)
(Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))

About 10 months development - I'd have been shot if what I have produced had taken that long :)

Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 0.50 (5.99)
(Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))

6 months scheduling.

Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule) = 1.66

There's only me, and I've only been working for 7 weeks on this project!

Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 112,301
(average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40).

I need to ask for a raise! In fact, my boss covers his ears and refuses to listen when I mention these numbers.

Obviously, there has been discussion with other people about where the project is heading, but I think the Basic COCOMO model clearly doesn't quite cut the mustard with Agile Development practices. Or maybe I'm just too good.

Still, it is fun to watch my boss run screaming, refusing to listen when I quote the estimated cost to develop. At least I think I am worth at least what I am paid :)

No comments: